Friday, 2 March 2012
I made this top yesterday out of some fabric that my lovely Sinter-In-law gave me. The fabric is a knitted thin jersey of some kind, like a thin crepe. It drapes nicely and was really easy to sew.
I had a top already that I liked so I used this as a pattern to cut out the pieces. There were four pieces altogether, the front, back, and two shoulder/sleeve pieces. The shoulder/sleeve pieces are practically rectangular in shape and they are sewn onto the sloping edges of the front and back like raglan sleeves.
When I had sewn up the shoulder seams and the side seams I finished off the edges of the neck, sleeves and bottom by making sure they were all even and then I sewed around the edge with a zigzag stitch in a dark brown colour, sewing half on and half off the fabric. Where the fabric was slightly stretchy the finished result doesn't really look like zigzag, it just looks like a neat edging.
After that I stitched some thin flat elastic around the inside of the neck and sleeves using a stitch on my machine which I think was a double overlock stitch. It was like a zigzag with a straight stitch down each side and it tried to make it wide enough so it encased the elastic rather than actually stitching through it.
The top took me about 2 hours to make from start to finish and cost me nothing but effort.