Wednesday 16 February 2011

Another Quilt

I have finished the quilt for my other Sister.  This one is a smaller quilt which drapes over the end of the bed which I think is called a scarf.


The colours don't exactly go with my duvet cover but should go with her brown, cream and white bedroom.

I bought the centre piece first and measured it as being 15 inches across then worked out that I would need 3 x 5" finished squares to fit across one side, adding on 1/2" for seams gave me 5 1/2 inch squares to cut out.

I had to have 7 squares each side of the centre so I made six strips with 7 squares in each strip alternating them from dark to light.  Then I sewed three sets of strips together for each end giving me two large rectangular blocks.  Next I sewed one block onto each side of the centre piece so I had one longer rectangle.  Then I sewed 2 strips with 17 squares in each strip and sewed these strips one on each side to finish it off.  It was quite easy to keep the seams together as I stitched, I just had to be careful when going past the centre piece to make sure the next seam would come in the right place.

I hand quilted the top piece together with the wadding and backing fabric by sewing diagonally through each small square both ways making a cross in the centre of each.  I missed out the centre piece until I had quilted everything else then I hand stitched around all the lines of the squares on the centre and the circle in the middle.

For a finishing touch I sewed some small pearl beads onto the centre piece but you can't see them in the photos.

1 comment:

  1. The bed runner (or is it scarf lol) is beautiful :) your sister is very lucky :) xx

    ReplyDelete